Saturday, April 11, 2009

Zucchini Three Ways


I think mushy zucchini is nasty, so I never steam it. I grew up eating it only one way, and it's still my favorite: grated, sauteed quickly on high heat in olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt and pepper and a lot of grated parmesan. If I'm feeling crazy I'll add some garlic. That's how my Nanni made it and it's really the only way I make it by itself.

I also love it sliced really thin (like into coins) and sauteed with garlic and tossed with whole wheat pasta. Costco has really good whole wheat pasta that tastes like normal pasta to me, and in our new quest to eat more affordably, we eat it about once a week. 

The only other way I like zucchini is cut into good sized chunks and grilled on kabobs. But it doesn't take long so you have to make sure not to put it on kabobs with longer-cooking veggies, like sweet potatoes. 

How else do you like zucchini?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea about grating it. I'll have to try! I made some zucchini crisps the other day. Here is the link to the recipe I kind of followed:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Zucchini-Chips/Detail.aspx?prop31=7

    All in all, not bad. Could add some cayenne for a little extra punch. I used some seasoned salt because Lindy was eating them.

    They can also be used with veggie fajitas if you're so inclined to lose the meat.

    ReplyDelete