Monday, April 13, 2009

Spinach Salad


I love the convenience of bagged baby spinach, but I get a little tired of sauteing it, which is usually how I prepare it.  However, I'm not a huge fan of raw spinach. Quite the conundrum when faced with a bag of spinach from the co-op. I found a glimmer of hope last week when I made a delicious spinach salad.

I mixed bagged baby spinach with some romaine I had leftover, so it was basically half and half lettuce and spinach. I'm sure that helped mitigate my fear of raw spinach. I also had a few ripe strawberries so I sliced them and threw them on top. I buy the big bags of sliced almonds at Costco because Lily loves nuts and those are the only ones I'm not afraid she'll choke on. The almonds added a great crunch, and next time I'll toast them first.

The dressing is one I've been making a lot lately, but I think it was especially perfect for the ingredients in this salad. I used walnut oil but olive oil would have worked fine, along with balsamic vinegar, sliced red onion, a clove of garlic, salt and pepper. Simple as could be. I let it sit for about 30 minutes while I prepared the rest of dinner, and it helped the garlic and onion infuse their flavor into the dressing. You could either toss out the garlic and onion or leave it in when you dress the salad.

Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Almonds
Dressing:
2 T balsamic vinaigrette
1/3 c. walnut oil or olive oil
2 T. finely chopped red onion
1 finely chopped garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes - 1 hour

Salad:
1/2 bag of baby spinach
1/2 heart of romaine
4 strawberries, sliced
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted



1 comment:

  1. Hey, you. I love all these recipes! Can't wait to try the zucchini with parmesean (sp?) and the scones. Funny: I did buy bananas at HEB, so now I have a bushel. Ha. I will make chocolate banana bread with them. It is a cooking light recipe, but everyone loves it -- even my FIL who never eats anything light. I will send it to you for the blog if you want to post it. I am still trying to figure out how you have so much time to cook. I don't feel like i have time to turn around most days. Hugs to you, girl! shawna

    ReplyDelete