Friday, April 10, 2009

Grilled Romaine Hearts


Yes, I said grilled romaine! I saw it on a cooking show and tried it last week. Yum! I have to admit, although I love salad, I don't always love all of the chopping, washing, etc. so this is a great way to have a delicious salad without a lot of prep work.

Slice 2 hearts of romaine vertically and wash thoroughly while leaving them intact (don't cut off the bottom). Place on a baking sheet and drizzle both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on heated grill and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Serve with a vinaigrette of your choice. We each ate a whole half, so 2 hearts served 4 adults. But we're total pigs.

I ate half of mine without dressing and loved it (I forgot I had made a vinaigrette) but it is also delicious with a Balsamic vinaigrette. I made mine with about 1/3 c. olive oil, 1 T balsamic, finely diced red onion, salt and pepper and let it sit for about 30 minutes, but you don't have to be precise with vinaigrettes for them to be yummy. It would be great with shaved parmesan, crumbled bleu cheese or fresh lemon juice too. Let me know what variation you try.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I was skeptical, but I tried it. My husband, a recent vegetable lover convert, wolfed his down and was looking for more. I enjoyed mine, too and my 3 year old inhaled hers. Definitley a "redo", as we say in our house. Thanks for such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete